Thursday, November 12, 2015

Working with Death (Thanatos)



The Greek God Thanatos- God of death, essentially tied with the iconic image of the Grim Reaper, is the son of the Goddess Nyx (Primordial Night) and the God Erebus (Primordial Darkness). His siblings, most notably being his twin brother Hypnos, the God of Sleep, were all portrayed as negative spirits associated with death and dying.


When I mention Thanatos, people most often have a negative image of him: a skeleton wrapped up in a disheveled black hooded cloak, carrying a scythe. The 'Hollywood' Grim Reaper. Funnily enough, I do sometimes see Thanatos in this image. I suppose he finds it humurous?

Most often though, Thanatos appears to me as a middle-aged yet young, timeless looking man clad in an all black suit, and neatly combed, short black hair. I've yet to get close enough to see what his eyes look like in this image.

Though ancient, wise and powerful, I suppose this more modern form is for the comfort of his followers. Though I've heard everyone sees him differently.


Thanatos is a mentor to me, similar to a father figure who will not hesitate to slap your hand, so to speak, if you've done something not to his liking. A God who, though seemingly cold and callous, has a soft spot for his followers (despite never wanting to admit it).


People find it quite odd that I worship the entity of Death. I really don't blame them. Death has become such a taboo in today's society that even mentioning Death as a deity or sentient being might classify you as a bit crazy.

To each his own, I suppose. But I have always had a morbid interest in death, dying and mourning. I am even getting ready to attend Mortuary School to become a Funeral Director. Maybe this is why I have such an attraction to this God of Death?

In any case, I've had questions about my relationship with this powerful deity, and again, I can't blame them for their curiosity. Let me just go over a few.


Q: What do you learn from Thanatos exactly? How to reap the souls of the living?

A: Cute, but no. In all honesty, not all of what he teaches me is based around Death. Thanatos is like a strict but loving father, constantly pushing you to achieve great things. He will not settle for anything less than what you are truly capable of. Like for instance, I am a very intelligent young woman, studying for my GED so I can apply for mortuary school, but I also procrastinate a lot. Something Thanatos does not appreciate. Most often, while relaxing, or out on the town, I can FEEL this deity trailing behind me, as if to say “Is this what you're doing instead of studying? Really?”. It can be tiresome, but I know he has my best interests at heart. And I appreciate his lectures, his following, and everything.

He teaches me patience, wisdom and understanding, and if I make some rude remark, or deal with a situation in a 'less than adult' type of way, he will ask me to rethink what I had said, and ask me if that was the appropriate response. A sort of, 'think before you speak' lesson.


Q: Do you think he'd give you cheat sheets for Mortuary School?!

A: That would be aweosme! But sadly, no. More often than not I find myself reading books or articles on Death culture, running to him: “Look what I found! Did you know such and such culture partakes in such and such death ritual?” The expression I get is absolutely priceless. I have to keep reminding myself that this is DEATH we're talking about. Though having him over my shoulder, helping me study and to pass my state board exams would be great, right?


Q: What types of symbols or items do you offer him? He must be really picky.

A: Eh, he can be picky, but he appreciates things that have some thought put into it. Even if you buy something at the store, a candle or something, with the thought, “Hey, Thanatos might really like this!” just know that he appreciates that you are thinking of him. Most often I will offer him all sorts of things, (Halloween being both our favorite holidays- I mean, there's a lot of death based things in stores to offer!) such as black coffee, skull candles, black candles, raven/crow feathers, butterfly symbols (I have a large butterfly I found just as it died, and dried it out), tobacco (cigars being his favorite), honey, milk, bread, rum or brandy (bourbon works too), snake symbols, etc. But that's just me.


All in all, Thanatos might be terrifying to approach at first, but he really is worth all the scoldings and lectures when you realize the types of lessons you are learning from him.

2 comments:

  1. how do i start worshipping him. im new to this but ive always loved thanatos and im not sure where to start

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanatos started coming to me before I was even old enough to know what witchcraft was. He’d visit me in dreams, looking almost exactly like the “Hollywood Grimm Reaper”. And although his appearance was frightening for a child to see in a dream, I never felt afraid around him. As you said, he has a very fatherly vibe. He was always stern, yet gentle with me. And I always felt safe around him. I didn’t know what he or the Grimm Reaper was, so I would call him Skullface. He never seemed to mind it. As I grew up, I did more research. I come from a family line of witches, so none of this was out of the ordinary. When I read about Thanatos it all clicked and made so much sense. How he’d show me death in dreams, and show me how to “kill” bad habits or make myself the best I can be, all the butterflies and how I always felt connected to butterflies and snakes, how I’d feel drawn to graveyards every time we drove past one. I started leaving offerings for him, and he showed himself to me more and more. I hate the weird looks I get when I mention that the god of peaceful death is my patron deity. Thank you for sharing your experience, you summed him up perfectly. Beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete